It has been a couple of weeks since the last post. There hasn’t been anything much to post about – other than the plants growing steadily.
This weekend, I did some combining of the older Walla Walla onion seedlings. Because over 75% of them perished due to damping off, they were taking up a whole row under the germination station – prime real estate for planting!
Here is a full view of the plants:
You can see that one of the trays of onions is now gone compared to previous pictures. Here is what is left of the original onions planted back in January:
Out of almost 150 original onions planted, about 35 are left. Amazing what the damping off fungus can do!
How about the other onions planted in February? They are all doing extremely well. I’m sure there have been a few that didn’t make it, but it is hard to tell with the shear number of onions left:
What do you see behind the picture in the back? Why yes, it is the Ventura Celery!
The celery seedlings were separated a couple weeks ago. I planted four seeds in each of the containers. Upon closer inspection, every single one of those 16 seeds germinated, although a couple of them were ‘runts’ and didn’t really grow.
Amazingly enough, the seedlings that I transplanted to four new containers are doing better than the original ones that I left untouched! Not sure how that is possible but it is going very well!
Lastly, this weekend, it was time to plant some lettuce. I didn’t take a picture of this (since it would just be seeding cells with soil in them). But, I used four 3-cell containers. In each, I planted 12 seeds each of Buttercrunch Lettuce, Simpson Elite Lettuce, New Red Fire Lettuce, and Red Salad Bowl lettuce. That makes for a great combination of different colors and somewhat different textures for salads when they start producing.